Did you know that income tax audits can be completed through the mail or in person?
The IRS determines how to complete your audit based on certain factors, like how complex the return is. In general:
- Correspondence audits (via mail) are used for simple, individual returns (Form 1040)
- Face-to-face audits (“office audits”) are held in IRS offices for more complex issues
- Very complex income tax returns are audited at the taxpayer’s place of business
If your return is selected for audit, you can make the process easier on yourself following these tips:
- Always maintain accurate, well organized records
- Respond to all requests for information promptly
- Only provide the requested info
- Be calm and polite
Call us for help on your income tax in the Ann Arbor area.